This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Full Professor of Geotechnical Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Perugia, Italy, since 2007.
Post–Doctoral Research Fellow at Stanford University, Stanford (CA), USA (1994).
Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering. University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy. Dissertation title: “Electrokinetic Phenomena in Clayey Soils and Electrokinetic Consolidation Theories: Experimental Investigation and Numerical Modelling” (in Italian), 1994.
Areas of research interest:
1) Numerical methods, including Finite Element method and Isogeometric Finite Element Method.
2) Constitutive theories for geomaterials, including mathematical theories of hardening plasticity, generalized plasticity, and hypoplasticity, with special reference to numerical implementation aspects.
3) Mathematical modeling of non-mechanical degradation processes (chemical degradation, weathering, thermal softening) in the framework of the theory of plasticity.
4) Large-strain nonlinear consolidation theories and their FE implementation.
5) Application of non-local continuum theories to the analysis of strain localization in saturated clays and sands.
6) Analysis of soil-structure interaction problems in shallow and deep excavations.
7) Development of macroelement models for the analysis of soil-structure interaction problems in foundation engineering, under static and dynamic loading conditions.
8) Analysis of rainfall- and earthquake-induced landslide hazard by means of physically-based model at both regional and single slope scales.
9) Electrokinetic processes and electro-osmosis in geotechnical engineering. Finite element implementation of coupled electrokinetic consolidation theories and their applications in environmental engineering.
2013-16: Project ReLuis: “WP-2: Earth Dams”. PI of the Research Unit of the University of Perugia.
2013-16: Project TIAR “Energetically sustainable and autonomous rural facilities”, founded by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture. PI of the Research Unit in geomechanics.
2013-16: Project PRIN’11: “Mitigation of Landslide Hazard by means of sustainable remedial measures”. PI of the Research Unit of the University of Perugia.
2010-12: Project PRIN’08: “Durability of clays used for waste containment systems”. National Coordinator and PI of the Research Unit of the University of Perugia.
2006-08: Project PRIN’06: “Experimental and theoretical study of the applicability of electrokinetic processes for the control of contaminant propagation in fine-grained soils”. National Coordinator and PI of the Research Unit of the University of Perugia.
2005-08 Project ReLuis: “Deep Excavations and shallow tunnels in urban areas”. PI of the Research Unit of the University of Perugia.
2001-03: Project COFIN’02: “Geotechnical aspects of the seismic hazard to transportation structures and other lifelines”. PI of the Research Unit of the University of Perugia.